Breastfeeding is important not only for the mothers but also for the health of the newborn baby and every breastfeeding mother needs an increase in energy levels. Breastfeeding increases women’s appetite and they have to eat something again and again. The mother should consume a balanced and nutritious diet. The phase of lactation demands an additional 500kcal in the diet of a breastfeeding mother. Breastfeeding mothers are advised to consume a good proportion of proteins, vitamins, iron, and calcium. Dr. Astha Chakravarty gynecology and fertility specialist at Best Infertility Clinic in Faridabad is sharing some tips to get a healthy diet during the lactation period.
- Nutrients are essential as a lactating mother. You follow a balanced diet plan that has a mix of healthy foods including Starchy foods, such as rice, bread, whole grain bread, potatoes, oats, semolina, and pasta.
- Choose whole grain varieties of starchy foods made from cereals. This will give you extra nutrition and fiber also include certain dairy products, such as a glass of milk, yogurt.
- Add certain proteins such as pulses, eggs, fish and fat-free meats should be added in breastfeeding mothers’ diet.
- Breastfeeding mothers are advised to take fruits and vegetables in sufficient quantity.
- Nuts are very healthy; you can also have a handful of nuts as a light snack.
- You need to drink more water and fluids to maintain your breast milk supply. You can choose healthy options like lassi, coconut water, buttermilk, fresh fruit or vegetable juice, and lemonade.
- When you’re breastfeeding, try not to have too many caffeinated drinks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while breastfeeding, especially in the first three months.
- Most lactating mothers are advised to take daily iron, folic acid, B vitamins, and calcium supplements. Depending on your diet, your doctor will advise on the necessary supplements for you.
She also says that not only the quantity but also the quality of milk depends on the mother’s diet, so for breastfeeding. In such a situation, it also becomes imperative for the lactating mother to take adequate food and fluids three times a day.
Visit at Best Fertility Clinic in Faridabad, we provide the wellness programs to help our patients.